SailNet Community - View Single Post - narrowed list - need valued input
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2002

namaste04 is on a distinguished road
narrowed list - need valued input

My 2 cents:
Higher quality: HR, Bristol, Oyster
Medium: Pearson 424 (we were actully very impressed with the interior joinery on the 2 we looked at; we expected a lot of wood-grain laminates as in other Pearsons of that vintage...)
Lower quality: Endeavor (I would not go offshore in one.)

Have you looked also at Whitby 42 (later models are better made), Peterson 44, Bewer 12.8? All these are lovely center cockpit boats with good reputations. We had similar needs but a lower budget and ended up with a Mariner 39 (built in New Hampshire, not the far east or CA...) which is similar to the above boats but a tad smaller. I don''t think there are any on the market right now, although she meets all of your criteria, except cutter rig.

Whitby 42s have some tenderness/helm issues that many POs have addressed with added lead to the Brewer cutaway keel and enlarged rudder. There are active owner groups that can probably tell you a lot about sailing characteristics of at least the P424, HRs, Whitby42s... probably others as well. Look at Sailnets email groups or do a Google search. It''s also interesting to make a chart and compare capsize ratios, sail area/dispacement ratios, etc, for the boats you are considering.... a good web site for that is
http://www.image-ination.com/sailcalc.html

have fun looking....it''s so much fun!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook