SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sustaining your cruising lifestyle???
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2007

kptmorgan04 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to kptmorgan04
I will also promote the working offshore life for a youngin wanting to cruise.
I grew up a dinghy racer. Since high school wanted to buy a sailboat and cruise. Went to a maritime academy, got my Third Mate license.
Worked ashore for two years, thought to myself... "self, what the hell am I doing living pay check to pay check with no hope of cruising until after retirement?"
Quit that job, started working offshore in the Gulf of Mexico on a oil research vessel. 28 on/28 off schedule. Bought my 36ft blue water capable boat 8 months after starting working offshore and now sail her pretty much for 25 of the 28 days I am off. I sailed to New England in the summer and am heading to the Bahamas in the winter.
While back at work I have a friend who stays on her (luckily) except for this month so I had to bite the bullet and pay for a month slip in Charleston.
There are tons of jobs offshore, ranging from people with no experience to those with licenses already.
I have been starting to think about getting some education as a diesel mechanic as well, with the thought of transitioning from offshore down the road to that to support myself.