SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hunter 37 Cutter, Any one have any experience on one?
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2002

paulk is on a distinguished road
Hunter 37 Cutter, Any one have any experience on one?

Haven''t sailed one, but have been impressed by the sensible & roomy layout below and wide decks for sail handling. The cockpit is big enough to be useful without being overly dangerous if pooped by a wave. I think I recall a bridge deck, which is a helpful safety feature in this regard as well as a good structural stiffener. Also of note - especially compared to other Hunters - is the inward-turning hull-deck flange and reasonably close spacing of bolts holding them together. This is a much preferred construction feature that costs more to do than out-turning flanges. Some of the forward sections of the topsides seemed somewhat large and flat -- possibly subject to oilcanning because there isn''t much support framing behind them. Your surveyor could explore this issue with you. Sailhandling equipment and rigging seemed to be strong enough to handle the likely loads, and the boat''s lines look good overall. One area of concern might be the plastic ports not closing well, but that''s something that could be fixed. The boat''s PHRF rating shows it''s not a racehorse, but isn''t a slug either, and should perform reasonably well. I believe she has a 5'' draft, which allows for access to many shallower areas while still providing reasonable windward ability. Overall, a pretty nice cruising boat if you can find one in good condition. I don''t know if I''d take one transatlantic in the wintertime, but depending upon your goals, she could be pretty nice.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook