SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sail vs. Power
Thread: Sail vs. Power
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2002

tarmand is on a distinguished road
Sail vs. Power

Just to add to / reiterate some of the great comments on this thread:

I was raised on powerboats, but always had a burning desire to sail (we had a sunfish). When I told my parents I was buying a sailboat, you would''ve thought I told them I had adopted some other kind of alternative lifestyle!

Anyway, when I take members of my family sailing, they''re all still powerboaters, five minutes in they''re starting with the "are we there yet?" line of questioning. I have to explain to them that "sailing IS what we''re doing today". Eventually, they get it and enjoy the ride, but always end the journey with comments like "that was fun, but we could''ve gotten here a lot faster". Bottom line is that they don''t have the burning desire to sail, and if one does not have that desire, sailing doesn''t make a damn bit of sense.

I ended the season having used 3/4 of my twenty gallons of diesel fuel on my 36 foot sailboat. EACH of the twin 454s on my brother''s 39 SeaRay burns my season''s worth of fuel in an hour. Different strokes, I guess. But when we NEED to get somewhere, who''s boat do we take?

Lastly, have you considered a trawler? Some would say best of both worlds: fuel economy without the work. I would say worst of both worlds: slowness without the sailing. But then again, for better or worse, I have that yearning to sail...

Good luck in your decision.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook