SailNet Community - View Single Post - spinnaker setup
Thread: spinnaker setup
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
spinnaker setup

I have not been impressed with the need for a spinacker sock. While they work, they don''t work well enough to justify thier use on boats under 40 or so feet in length. On Boats below that length it is really easier to flag the chute and drag it down the back of the mainsail. On the J-boats that I have been on they have stopped using the socks years ago. The problem with the socks is that it hard to reliably send the sail up without an hourglass. Then you are really in trouble.

I am not all that impressed with raising the spinacker on a Tackline and restraint. One of the easiest and safest ways to gain control and douse a chute in a building breeze is to flag it behind the mainsail. You really don''t have the option of doing that with most tackline set ups. Beyond that when sailing deep angles it is very easy to get a serious wrap with a tackline (think of going close to down wind with the spinacker pole almost on the headstay).

So while it may be true that a regular spinacker set up requires more gear,IMHO, it also offers a lot more options and is actually easier to use safely.

Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook