SailNet Community - View Single Post - Planning for the future
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2007

GulfCoastSkimmer is on a distinguished road
Planning for the future

I asked something similar last week but have tweeked my question a bit in hopes of more responses and sugestions.

I am hoping to purchase something like a used Corsair F-24 MKI or MKIII in about 2 yrs., then something a bit larger after sailing the 24 (or similar) for a while.

I plan on sailing out of the beautifull beach front called Bolivar lol.(Galveston) and doing 3 things
1. Coastal sailing, sticking to the coast, just Texas/Louisiana at first but eventually going as far as rounding Florida and up to Jacksonville.(picked Jacksonville because it is known)
2. Instead of rounding Florida, Head south to the Virgin Islands.
3. Cross the Gulf, a strait line from Galveston to Cancun, then head down to Costa Rica.

So I have a few questions,
1. How far offsore can a sailboat like the Corsair 24 safetly go, In otherwords if you drew a strait line from Galveston to Fort Myers (Cape Coral, Florida) could the 24 make that crossing safely? (If not could a corsair 28, or Telstar28?)
2. Could it then safely get to the Virgin Islands?
3. What size multihull is needed to cut strait accross the Gulf of Mexico from Galveston to Cancun? (Corsair 27/28/31, Telstar 28, Gemini 105mc?)

What other Multihulls would you suggest looking at instead of the C-24?(ready to go for under 30k),
or would you suggest suggest just getting a monohull? (I would rather be sailing than sitting on the beach watching.)
Are their any beachable Monohulls that could safely do above mentioned desires? (florida,VI's)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook