SailNet Community - View Single Post - Aft Cockpit vs Center Cockpit
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2007
Cruising

RandyonR3 is on a distinguished road
Got to dis-agree with the "easy motion" Mentioned in the prior reply and I'm not sure what is ment by "Hobby Horsing". I've sailed both a center cockpit and rear. My 42 is a rear cockpit.
I found that If you're going to get seasick, you'll do it in a center cockpit. I've sailed many miles and never got a touch of the sickness UNTIL I sailed a center cockpit. If you're in any type of wave action where the boat is rocking around, as sailing down wind, wing on wing.
Your on top of the boat and swinging from side to side. In a rear cockpit, you're setting just a few inches above the water and the movement is minamized at the waterline.The boat is rolling around you.
The experance I had was in the delivering of a Choy Lee 65 foot center cockpit... The cockpit was about 10 feet above the waterline and whenever the boat rocked from side to side, I was swinging from atop the boat.. It was like being in the fly bridge of a powerboat.
I'm sure there are advantages of a center cockpit but after I hailed over the side a couple times, I did'nt care about the advantages...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook