SailNet Community - View Single Post - need boat advise
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
need boat advise

Nice post Jack. I wanted to comment on the lower end of the range that I quoted. This figure came out of distance cruising texts going back to the 1950''s and 1960''s. When you look at small boats that were used for distance sailing boats like Trekka (3800 lbs) or the Folkboats (4200 lbs), or even boats like Robin Grahams two ''Doves'', this lower limit of 2.5 long tons (5600 lbs) really is not an unreasonable floor. While I would not recommend either extreme of this range, great single handed passages have been made in boats that are beyond both the upper and lower limit being recommended. I do think that 6 tons (13,450 lbs) can be a pretty big boat to single hand when things turn ugly. That said a sailor in good shape can obviously handle much larger boats as evidenced by the Open 6O Class long distance racing boats.

I also completely agree that my list was by no means complete but I thought it might serve as a posible broad stroke introduction to the kinds of choices that are out there.

Respectfully,
Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook