SailNet Community - View Single Post - Inspecting fire extinguishers
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2014

SchockT is on a distinguished road
Re: Inspecting fire extinguishers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzarac View Post
I'd like to add that my time spent in corporate facilities management we were tasked with inspecting and maintaining all of our fire extinguishers. All those found to be out of date would be taken to a "safe area" where all of our first responders would get the chance to extinguish a live fire in a trash barrel. It always surprised people as to how critical aiming was and that you couldn't simply spray a burst of chemicals willy-nilly. Most folks instinctively attack the flame instead of the base of the fire which would inevitably spread the fire instead of putting it out. If you have an extinguisher you are replacing I would highly recommend trying it out or taking it to your city's fire chief and inquire about demonstrations on how to properly use a fire extinguisher.
Once in a while the fire company that does our safety inspections brings in a fire pan and lets everyone who wants to try putting the fire out. It is a great idea! I think everyone should try it so they know what to expect in a real emergency. My son learned how to use one when he was six!

I also think that would be a good use for outdated flares! How many people have actually fired a flare gun? Why not set a date with local authorities when people can fire flares under controlled conditions?
Hull#101
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook