SailNet Community - View Single Post - Inspecting fire extinguishers
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2014
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road
Re: Inspecting fire extinguishers

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck53 View Post
A buddy of mine teaches the Power Squadron Boating safety class. According to him, basic marine extinguishers are stamped on the bottom (and mine are) with the year of mfg. As long as the guage is in the green and they are 12 years old or less, they are good to go.
Both of mine were more than 12 so I bought 3 new ones...one for each sleeping cabin and own within arms reach of the galley and engine room.

FYI, if you have an extinguisher without a date stamp...it is way more than 12 years old. One of mine was and it is no longer in service.
Actually, I just checked one in the engine room today (5 years old, a pretty white one) and it was dead center in the green, but light as a feather. I doubt seriously it would have been much use in a fire, but all you who say "check that it's in the green and you're good to go", here's hoping you don't have that happen when you need one, for real!