Thread: Give AIS a rest
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2014
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: Give AIS a rest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
Large traffic is not nearly as maneuverable as you describe. Although people with personal experience to that effect, including me, have said otherwise you persist in your belief. I'm not sure what we can do make reality evident to you. We haven't even talked about restricted sightlines and visibility.
Absolutely no disagreement that large vessels are not immediately maneuverable. This is progressively true even for smaller craft in smaller spaces. It's obvious. My issue is that large ships need to be responsive to essential contact, need to have someone responsible at the helm, use horn signals to indicate on which side they intend to pass (that is SUCH a simple thing to do), and be aware of the non-ability of small, slow sailboats and trawler type boats to maneuver out of their way. It can't be a case of, "I'm coming through and I'm bigger. Get out of the way." Having to alter course at a 90 degree angle when a large ship appears on the horizon and scurry out of the way of ANY possible path they may take is ludicrous and should not be expected. As I said, some enforcement against the few irresponsible commercial guys who blatantly scoff at rights of way and behave like bullies of the sea would go a LONG way to putting a muzzle on this kind of behavior. Instead of doing boardings of pleasure boats, looking for missing MARPOLE stickers, maybe the CG could catch some of the cowboys in action and give them a slap on the wrist once in a while.

I have transited NY Harbor many, many times and have never had any issue whatsoever with the ferries or taxis. They seem to be very good at knowing and abiding by the simple rules of the road. They strike me as pros. in a very difficult piece of water. That's the key to it all: that all parties KNOW the rights of way in the body of water they are operating in. They work and work well if adhered to.

Last edited by smurphny; 08-17-2014 at 12:07 PM. Reason: sp
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook