SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rallies Gone Wrong
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2014

outbound is on a distinguished road
Re: Rallies Gone Wrong

Smack - I know its been some time since anyone looked at this thread. Since then have been doing some serious thinking and have had multiple conversations with experienced cruisers as well as getting info from OBO and SDR. Net result is I respectfully suggest at present if you want to go from New England to the eastern Caribbean the SDR rally remains one of the best options for a cruiser just entering the life full time. Leaving from Newport means a longer sail and more opportunity for weather. Leaving from points far south means headwinds, need to follow the gentleman's path and difficulty arranging crew for the many short passages. The rally and OBO offer supports that other ways of making this passage do not.
I respect your stated opinions about SDR but note given the responsibility for when to leave, who to leave with, and how to prep the boat are and have always been the responsibility of the captain/owner I do not feel your statements were sufficient to dissuade me from joining the fall rally. I sent them the $250. I'm working with Hank to line up crew. You can come visit me in the BVIs this November.
All the best and hope I never post a BFS.