SailNet Community - View Single Post - A few beginners questions

View Single Post
post #5 of Old 10-23-2007
Raggbagger
No I dont remember

Hi and welcome aboard , so you joined a sailing club ehh . Why dont you rent out a few boats from them , ask around and see who needs crew , throw up an add at the club billboard and get you and your son out on as many boats as you can before you make the comitment to buying one . Unless you can afford to change boats at the drop of a hat and money is no object .Your taste in boats may change drastically once you get going .

Yes you and your son could crew a large cat if you know what your doing , even so , I think youll find that 2 is a very small crew on a boat of some size . Not that it cant be done , but its going to be work . Hard work and sleepless nights if you plan on offshore sailing .

Offshore minimum size is dependant on the crews experience , not the boat .
If you dont know what your doing , a bigger boat is not going to help you , in fact it may hurt you .

Its great that your getting into the sailing life with your family . I hope your son is enthused about it ,13 yrs old , wow . I wish my dad had plans to buy us a 45-50 ft Cat when I was 13 well , not a Cat , I prefer the monohulls .
Theres a bunch of Aussies on the net here and Im sure theyll chime in with recommendations on a small boat to get you going .

Fair winds

Its hard trying to nap with that bilge pump alarm going off all the time
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome