SailNet Community - View Single Post - Are liveaboards misfits?
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2007

HoffaLives is on a distinguished road
Are liveaboards misfits?

I know this is asking a gross generalisation - along the lines of are all old fat balding white guys racist - and it likely varies with community, but it seems to me that there' s a hunk of misanthropy among those who make a dock their home. At least where I live. I'm not considering cruisers here, just folks who make a home on a boat.

With some boats you never see the guy, just the blue flicker of a TV at night. With others you will see them but they always seem to be, well, scurrying. And then there was the time there was this old scow on the Pitt river - a guy, a woman and a baby. The guy piles into his dinghy and goes to all the nearby canoeists begging smokes.

Most liveaboards I've known were guys, and they weren't so much "single" as they were bachelors, and there's a big difference.
From what I've seen the typical retiree or young couple on a nice boat seems to be in the minority. But maybe that's just because Canada is more conservative (and colder), and only crazy bastards live on boats.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook