SailNet Community - View Single Post - Are liveaboards misfits?
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Our marina has about 8 boats with winter-full time liveaboards and I suppose these salts are woven from different cloth than most boaters. The number of liveaboards of course, goes well over 100 boats in the summer months.

I must say though, based upon my wife and I being long-standing good friends with several of these obsessive mariners, they are fairly normal contributors to society. The ones we are most social with consist of a full time RN, instrument product sales rep, a Cadd drafter, accounting firm business manager and a professional musician. They're all either married or living with their S/Os, great people and fun to be with.

It's pretentious to position myself as being "normal" - what exactly is that anyway? But I must agree, there are one or two couples and one strange loner guy, who could be described a social rejects, or misfits. They scurry on and off their boats when no one is around, hugging sides of buildings like nervous rodents in search of shelter.

When faced with the small talk questions of other boaters, pertaining to general and harmless topics - like weather, a lack a social skills and personal hygene becomes apparent. It's also obvious, they chose this life to escape the typical normal lifestyle - as most "normal" people know it.

In a frightening sort of way, there are days when I'm envious of their choice.