SailNet Community - View Single Post - Inspecting fire extinguishers
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2014
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Inspecting fire extinguishers

Thanks for all the good info. BTW, I'm not trying to be cheap here (though I knew that comment was coming ) What I'm trying to do is figure out if this is really necessary and if so, why.

It's more the hassle and the fact that it's not user-serviceable and I don't know what goes into an inspection. From my (lack of) understanding, fire extinguishers are generally low maintenance items. I was aware of the soda-caking issue and I go give them a shake from time to time. I also have some mounted horizontally, which hopefully would help. What I'd really like to see is the ABYC regs, but really that's probably irrelevant to my case because once the surveyor puts it on the survey and it goes to the insurance company, you'd best comply. I'm sure I can be arguing ABYC regs till the cows come home, but if my boat burns down (for any reason) the insurance can now point to my lack of compliance with the surveyor's recommendation if I don't do what the surveyor says.

BTW, here is the exact text of the finding. I do love that my current surveyors DO cite chapter and verse with findings.

2. **Found: All fire extinguishers without current inspection tags. Recommendation, have
extinguishers re-certified or replaced. IAW NFPA 302. **, ABYC A-4 AP 6.3 At one year
intervals, a full maintenance check should be made by a qualified fire extinguishing system service
facility in accordance with the manufacturer’s maintenance instructions. A tag should be attached
showing the date of such maintenance check.

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MedSailor; 08-18-2014 at 04:10 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook