SailNet Community - View Single Post - Failed SUNSAIL Charter in BVI''s - Strike Two!
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2002

r-thom is on a distinguished road
Failed SUNSAIL Charter in BVI''''s - Strike Two!

We have chartered twice in BVI. First from Conch in 2000 and then Trade Winds last year. Although the monohull at Conch had been around the block a few times,it was clean, wanted nothing and ready to go when we got there. The staff was terific and catered to our every need. Third day out the throttle cable broke while docking at Virgin Gorda (5:30 p.m.) One phone call to the base in Tortola and it was fixed by 10:30 next morning (Sunday). We would have gone back to Conch but were unable to get the catamaran we wanted to try, so we went to Trade Winds in Fat Hogs Bay. We had arranged to stay onboard the first night and arrived at 5 pm. They were installing a new genset on the boat and worked on it till 8:30 that night. We had to sit around the marina and wait till they finished to ''move'' onboard. A bit of an inconvenience but not to hard to take considering the surroundings. The job was finished by 10 am next morning. On our 9 day cruise, I had a machanic out to the boat twice and had to take it back to Fat Hogs bay once becasue their service boat was ''out of commision''. Engine, genset, battery problems were the most common. At anchor in Great Harbour, I came back to the boat to find the starboard engine had come completly off its'' mount (outboard engine located in an inclosed well). It was just hanging there by the control cables. Easy to fix but should never have happened in my view, there was no security chain between the hull clamps to prevent them from backing off. At the end of our trip, the base manager said he wanted to ''make it right'' and we arrived at a mutually agreed upon settlement of 3 days lost. I had the option of taking the money in hand or a voucher good for 2 years at any Trade Winds location. What can I say, I took the voucher.
Ron
Victoria BC Can
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook