SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rallies Gone Wrong
View Single Post
Old 4 Weeks Ago

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Rallies Gone Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post

Just watch out for those guys that have only "one blue water passage" under their keels. Unlike you, they don't really know what they're getting into.
You mean, like a significant percentage of the likely entrants in the Caribbean 1500?

Seriously, how can anyone make such a broad assertion? After a single offshore passage, some may have a very good idea what it's about... Others, after several more benign passages, still might not...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post

Safety and experience don't really matter - but mugs and skipper bags will cost you what you could have put into that rudder inspection.

I just have to shake my head. Oh well, there's always the waiver:

Quote:
I recognize that off-shore cruising is an inherently dangerous activity. The risks include injury, loss of property, loss of life. As captain and/or crew on a vessel making an ocean passage, I must have appropriate training and experience.
I certify that I am engaging in this activity understanding the risks and agree that neither the Salty Dawg Rally, nor any of the
organizers, officers, agents or volunteers thereof have or shall have any liability of any nature for any loss, damage, cost or
injury (including death) arising out of my participation in the Salty Dawg Rally, the ocean crossing or any event related
thereto.

I agree to indemnify, save and hold harmless the Salty Dawg Rally, the organizers, officers, agents and volunteers from and
against any claim or liability arising out of my participation in the rally and related events with respect to myself, my crew, my
boat, any other participant or person who may make a claim against the Salty Dawg Rally related to the rally.
I accept the jurisdiction of the Salty Dawg Rally with respect to eligibility, disqualification, or awards.
Just a WAG on my part, but I'll bet the participants in the Caribbean 1500 are compelled to sign a similar waiver, don't you think?

Although, I've gotta wonder why... Hell, with their stringent entry requirements, Safety Inspections, and their "taking all the worry out of choosing a weather window" for the rally fleet, one might think they might demonstrate a bit more Confidence, and wouldn't feel the need to still have to indemnify the organization against liability in such a manner similar to the SDR, no?

:-))

Last edited by JonEisberg; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:33 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook