SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

JAMMING FURLER

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Denr 
#1 ·
Not sure if there are two m''s in jamming or not.

I''ve noticed that my furling line gets stuck or tangled in the drum. I also noticed that when the sail tries to go all the way out it stops short. It seems that there is too much line on the drum and it is getting stuck at the outer limits of the drum.

I am not sure if this makes sense but maybe the line is old and too fat or soft.
Maybe I should put a thinner line on the drum. Can''t find anything on recommended line size in the manual.

This is a new boat for me and I haven''t had the chance to even sail it. The sails are now off for the winter.

It is a Harken furler system on a 1985 31 ft Oday.

Anyone have any experience on this? Would appreciate the advice.

#2 ·
You could try a smaller line but it sounds like you don''t have the right amount of wraps on the drum. Are there wraps left after the sail is completely furled? Also you need to keep a small amount of tension on the furling line when you unfurl it to keep the wraps tightly on the drum. Also check to see that the block closest to the drum has a fair lead angle to the drum. You might need to play with this some.

#3 ·
Some furling manufacturers recommend removing the core from the furling line to make it flat. This reduces the tendency of the round line to get jammed. I have done this on my Hood furler and have never had a jam. Just remove the core in the area that gets wrapped in the drum and then stitch and heat seal the core to the outer jacket.

#4 ·
nauticalfilthyrich:

When unfurling the sail try to keep tension on the furling line rather than letting it unwind by itself. This will do two things, it will wrap the line tighter around the drum in a smaller space and it will keep the line from wrapping around itself. I sometimes even stop the furling line only momentary to cause the line to "trip" itself so it does not coil in a single large spool at the bottom of the drum. That advise was worth $60.00, jut send me a check if you would please.

#5 ·
Hey Denr,
I just bought the boat, now I have two. You know, double the expense until I sell the 25ft Kelt. You buy it I''ll give you $60.00.
How about one free guitar lesson.

Listen I''m so broke now I can''t even PAY attention!!!!

But all kidding aside, thanks for the advice and special thanks to those who offer free advice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.