SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cruising Sail Inventory
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2002

BrentGH is on a distinguished road
Cruising Sail Inventory

Jack,
Thanks for the response. To answer the questions you pose first: What would come after the South Pacific is as undefined as any other plans. Basically, I have a simple boat, simple life, and just enough saved up to cruise for six months or three years! It really just depends on my own condition as well as the wind! The inner stay will have a staysail(10.2oz, 80 sq ft.) with a storm reef in it(59 sq. ft.), and will be hanked. The forestay has a furling unit. I''m also fortunate enough to have the time and ability to completely disassemble the rig, rudder, and diesel to inspect, service, and upgrade, so I hear ya on the furler line, very true.

As far as the main goes, it does have 3 reefs as well, and I''m running both the tack and clew lines for the reefs back to the cockpit and making darn sure that the system works well, another good point. Sounds like you''ve done this before!

No pole yet, but it is on the list, for sure. And yeah, I''m also a bit hesitant to fly that asym offshore solo, its only prudent, I think, as long as you are making way well enough without it. I''m sure I''ll be more inclined to use it when I''m running longer distances, and I''m more familiar with the prevailing weather. Otherwise, I''m leaning towards a moderate overlap as well, closer to the 120/130 you mention. The 145 was born of the thinking that my sunbeam is a bit heavy for her length and sail area, so in light air, she needs a bit more power than many similar boats to get moving. The upside to this is that she weathers very well for her size, and takes a blow without much fuss. And so, heading towards lighter air, mostly downwind, the local Hood sailmaker and myself sat down and drew up a jib top with a slightly higher clew, to keep the foot out of the water on a reach, and for visibility. However, that sail would be effective mostly off the wind, because of its CE being aft, and furled very much past 130 and its shape and CE are not good at all. So, given that I do have a staysail, its area added to a 120/130 would provide enough power in the closer reaching scenarios in winds from 5 true to 35 true (reefing as necessary!), quite well. And off the wind further, the asym should do just fine, even better with a pole, in 5+ true to 15 true. More than that and I won''t need the extra area. The tradeoff is mostly in the legwork required to manage two headsails at once, both hoisting the staysail, and tacking both. A secondary loss would be a few degrees of pointing in really light air, that the 145 may handle better than a dual headsail rig. Probably worth the extra versatility, though. And probably why the most recent design trend is towards fractional rigs with small, manageable headsails and big mains. Anyone have any counterpoints here?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook