SailNet Community - View Single Post - Are liveaboards misfits?
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2007

HoffaLives is on a distinguished road
I think to self-identify as a misfit requires introspection, as well as a willingness to share that fact. Given the state of western civilization, I'm starting to wonder if it isn't somewhat a badge of honor; I know that mainstream life is NOT a club to which I want to belong. They have it easier, but in my judgment the price they pay is too high. For all it's leftist trappings, I think Canada is more conservative than the US, in the sense that the collective is stronger. If the US is the beacon of individual accomplishment, I think Canada is representative of a country where the collective is more important. We don't tend to have as many iconoclasts.

So it seems to me that more of the folks that live on the margins do so not out of choice, but circumstance and mental health issues. Certainly as you go north you'll find the frontier ethic still holds sway in many communities and anti-social behaviour can be the norm.

The one yuppy liveaboard community on the west coast is in Vancouver - it costs over $40,000.00 as a deposit just to lease a slip at the Heather st. Marina, so there's no misfits there. These folks not only fit in the mainstream, but play it to their benefit.

I've read a lot of the posts that show up on the forum, and I've wondered why these folks don't seem like so many that I've seen living aboard. That's where the class question came about: the notion that perhaps in the states this lifestyle is more desirable and less the refuge of troubled people.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook