SailNet Community - View Single Post - We're getting hosed
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2007

HoffaLives is on a distinguished road
We're getting hosed

So what else is new? Of course it's a running joke among boat owners-the inflated cost for items to maintain and repair our boats. While we might get a sense that the retails/manufacturers are giving us the big willy, we also know that the materials have to be top notch, the environment they have to perform in is unforgiving, and production numbers are low, all of which drives up prices. I have no argument about this; it's the reality of boat ownership.
And then something comes along that shows some boys out there are screwing their customers, and yet we all lap it up with a smile.
I wonder why more hell isn't being raised? Maybe we're all rich or something.

But here's one example. The auxiliary in my CS36T is a 1980 Westerbeke diesel. ALthough I SHOULD say it's a British Leyland 1.5 litre tractor diesel marinized by Westerbeke. I've done some digging, and am surprised at the non-westerbeke parts I've been able to find.

Remember, the only parts that are westerbeke on this engine are the heat exchangers and manifold.

Complete top end gasket set for the BL 1.5 is $60.00 which includes shipping from the UK. I've been told that Westerbeke wants more than $300.00 for the head gasket alone. BL fresh water pump, $80.00. Westerbeke >$700.00. I just bought a set of four OEM pistons complete with rings for $150.00. I can only imagine what westerbeke would charge.
One guy priced out full rebuild parts at >$6,000.00 from Westerbeke. I'm sure I could get all the BL parts under $500.00.

The parts are all OEM, yet Westerbeke charges up to 10X the "normal" retail price for the same part. Why? because it's a "boat part". Because we will pay it.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook