SailNet Community - View Single Post - Coastal v. Bluewater cruiser, your thoughts
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2007

EveningStar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to EveningStar
Coastal v. Bluewater cruiser, your thoughts

Good day to all:

I'm looking for opinions from all who have some knowledge in the differences between a "coastal cruiser" and a "bluewater cruiser". This question has perplexed me for sometime. I can't seem to find a good set of design criteria for both to compair. Common sense tells me that a good bluewater boat will have a beefier standing rig, a heavier displacement, probably a stiffer hull, maybe a few more layers of glass as well, sails would be heavier as well and have extra reef points. What else would I be missing? Can a sturdy quality build coastal boat be refitted for ocean travel?

In way of an introduction I'll give you an idea of myself, my sitiuation and my plan. My name is Matt, I'm 35yr old, married with three wonderful little deck hands. I've been sailing and cruising the Great Lakes for 30 of 35yrs in every thing from a Wayfarer to my current Catalina 30. More than just harbor hopping my family and I enjoy extended periods off the coast, 3-7 days before making port (more would be fine, just run into land by then up here). We live aboard during the Spring and Summer and I've lived aboard year 'round in the past (quite refreshing in Feb on Lake Huron!) Our plan is to leave for a circumnavigation in 10yrs or less. So now is the time to be working out the boat to do this in!

Thanks to all that respond. I'd be happy to email with anyone with more to say than can be included here.

Matt
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook