SailNet Community - View Single Post - Coastal v. Bluewater cruiser, your thoughts
View Single Post
post #5 of Old 10-26-2007
Oh boy, you're going to get a lot of different opinions here. Many of them, like mine below, are little more than preferences based on sailing styles and circumstances. There are so many elements that make a good bluewater boat, but SailingDog's and Kwaltersmi's lists are a good starting point..

Among other things, I like wide, clear sidedecks, uncluttered by deck-piercing shrouds and stanchions. I like the security of raised bulwarks and tall 30 inch lifelines. I like the chainplates horizontally through-bolted into the hull, and stanchions similarly horizontally bolted to the raised bulwarks (both for strength and resistance to water intrusion). Also, there should be space for a junk-filled milk crate on the coachroof (just kidding on that one):

(Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31)

I also like a protected rudder, preferably with the propeller in an aperture:

(Morris 32)

Good anchoring systems are important too. I like the ability to store and launch several anchors from the bow and stern. Okay, maybe not this many, but you get the idea:

(Joshua 44)

I'm sure others will add their wish lists. This should be an interesting thread...
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome