SailNet Community - View Single Post - capable world cruisers under $10k
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2002

jbarros is on a distinguished road
capable world cruisers under $10k

As for the purchase price of $10k meaning there will need to be some work on the boat, this is something I''m ok with, and expect. I do my own work, and can beg, borrow, wheel and deal to get inexpensive (never cheap) parts and materials to fix it up as I prepair for my trip. I need only sound hull and deck (I dont think I can recore a deck), and well steped mast and hopefully some of the more expensive to replace items in decent shape. (sails, rigging, bottom paint, ground tackle, engine pick any 2 or more) I can do electric with my eyes shut, and I dont mind replumbing, repainting, carpentry, glasswork, (interior, not hull if possible) but I''d like to find something that I could drop an inital investment in and then liveaboard as I prepaired her for a trip. So, while $10k (or so) is my limit for an intial drop on a boat, it''s not neccessarily my limit for parts etc, provided I can spread the rest out over time, WITHOUT an obligation to someone else to pay. ie: I just dont like debt.

Likewise, I''m in no big rush, as I have a day sailer for now, which I waited and watched and looked for 3 years before finding what I wanted for the rather obscenley low amount of money I had to offer. ($1000 for a sloop in good condition.) I''ve done it before, I''ll do it agian, it just takes patience, and knowing what you''re looking for. I''ve got the first, just trying to figgure out the second.

Once agian, thanks for the ideas and the feedback. All good things to think about while I''m trying to figgure out what I''m doing.

-- James
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook