SailNet Community - View Single Post - pearson 10m vs pearson 33-2
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2007

DrB will become famous soon enough
A 10M is longer and faster - It's the Big Brother

A good 10M is a bargain compared to a 33-2. Not saying that the 33-2 is bad, but most are in the very high 30's to 40K range. Almost all 10M are less than 30K. Some folks say the the 10M was one of the best designed boats to come from Pearson.

They are hard to find, as they only made about 250 of them starting in 1973 and ending the run in 1980. The chainplate problem was fixed in the mid 70's at the factory.

Any boat this age will have some moisture in the deck. I just bought mine in June and the surveyor found a few very small areas that had a slightly elevated moisture reading, but his comment was it was expected and the level of mine was exceptionally good.

I looked at a 33-2 and liked the 10M much better because even thugh both had a 11' beam, the 33-2 wide spot is more aft compared tot he 10M. Beause of this, I felt that the 33-2 was "tight" forward. (I am a big guy). Both boats have decent creature comforts below. If I had to do it again, I'd still take the 10M over the 33-2. If I were looking at a larger boat in the same range and there was no 10M, I'd go with a P34.

The 33-2 is more cruiser than cruiser/racer. The 10M has the traveler in the cockpit, making single handing a little easier than the 33-2 where the traveler is on the cabin top. The 10M also has more sail area. The 10M will point higher than the 33-2.

Both boats are performance oriented (if you have the fin keeled 33-2), but the 10M has more sail area and a longer waterline, thus yeilding a lower PHRF rating.

I recommend to keep looking for the 10M. Some of the ones on the east coast have some issues. But if you get one for say $25K, and put 5K in to "fixing" her up, your still less than a 33-2.

DrB
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook