SailNet Community - View Single Post - Fish we eat..
Thread: Fish we eat..
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Fish we eat..

Too many times in my travel to the US and abroad, I long for the the good Portuguese fish we are acostumed and have been eating for 1000's of years.

And as you know, Portuguese are know for the fishing and its a part of our tradition.

Truth is, in the US appart from canned fish, normally tuna, or fresh water fish (that we don't eat, mainly because we're all coastal, and second because its not our tradition to eat fresah water fish) that I don't appreciat that much, I hardly find a fish I like.

Besides sometimes its hard to find fish...as you know, best steak in the World in the US...truth.

Anyway, too many times have I been asked what fishe we eat, and I can't explain, we eat hundreds of fish, most people don't even know it exists.

So I went to the fish market with my wife and decided to take photos of the fish stand to show and to keep here, so in the future, if someone asks, I'll direct them here.

I thought it would also be fun for my American friends that like fishing so much.

So here are some of the fish we eat.

By the way Sailaway...we don't eat Herring, we don't touch the stuff, the french do...only because you keep relting me to herring.

here's the translation for the fish names:

DOURADA - GILTHEAD BREAM or DORADE
XAPUTA - ANGEL FISH
CAVALA - CHUB or SPANISH MACKREL
PARGO - SANPPER or PORGY
PEIXE-ESPADA - CUTLLASS FISH or SABBARDFISH
ROBALO - SEA BASS
TAMBORIL - MONKFISH
BACALHAU - COD FISH
FANECA - POUT
SARDINHA - SARDINE
LINGUADO - SOLE FISH