SailNet Community - View Single Post - Fish we eat..
Thread: Fish we eat..
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2007

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Giulietta,

Fascinating. Nice photos. So, which did you choose for dinner and how did you prepare it?

Maybe it is a regional difference, but in my family we eat a fair bit of fish and only very rarely is it from fresh water. We mostly eat tuna (steaks, not canned, thunnus thynnus), swordfish (xiphias gladius), halibut (hippoglossus stenolepis), striped bass (roccus saxatilis), mahi mahi (coryphaena hippurus), sometimes bluefish (pomatomus saltatrix) if very fresh, flounder (platichthys flesus), and even codfish (gadus callarius). And of course, various salmon, mostly the Atlantic variety (salmo salar).

Most of the striped bass, bluefish, and flounder that we eat we catch ourselves. The others come from the fishmarket. I remember when we could still catch cod off the coast of New England, but that's rare now. The Portuguese fishermen that settled in New Bedford and Fall River were too good at what they did -- so the cod are very depleted. But I have heard promising reports that they are returning to the Banks.

Share a recipe?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook