SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bukh engines
Thread: Bukh engines
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2007

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
I had the small, single cylinder Buhk (10 hp) in my Laser 28. I really liked the engine, it was reliable and very easy to work on. Most of the parts were reasonably priced, and parts were generally in stock or a few days away and advice was readily available from a local dealer (Davis Craven at Waterway Diesel) and from online Dealers. It did have a few minor oil leak issues, in that it was hard to assemble the waterpump/fuel lift pump assembly without getting leaks. The only other problem that I encountered was that the steel frame that supports the engine and which comes with the saildrive package fatigued and broke dropping the engine into the bilge. I was able to temporarily support the engine, and remove the steel frame. When I got the frame out I felt that it was poorly engineered and so re-engineered it when I had it repaired.

Their saildrive was very nicely engineered as saildrives go, but it could only use a particular model Gori propellor, and I personally would not have another Gori prop on a bet. I found this prop to be pure junk, and Gori to have a antagonistic attitude if you had a problem, providing worse than lousy service for thier products in North American.

Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook