SailNet Community - View Single Post - cat with tilt mast
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 11-12-2002 Thread Starter
cat with tilt mast

I noticed a recent post where someone was looking for ways to tilt their mast to go under a bridge. I sail on a lake that is one days motoring from Georgian Bay and the North Channel but bridge clearance is 22 feet. I also note many reports of people taking down their masts to go thru the Erie Canal and other inland passages where heights are limited. I am also a designer in a field where we often design systems to raise and lower structures not unlike sailboat masts. It seems to me it would not be difficult to design an efficient , easy to use system that could be tilted and raised while underway. The most suitable craft for this kind of undertaking would be a cruising catamaran in the 30 to 34 foot range. The cat provides a wide platform that could easily be fitted with side stays that could maintain tension while tilting. A boat of this size also does not require a terribly tall mast. The cat also gives a large interior and modest draft. Question? Would there be sufficient market interest in this kind of craft to make it viable?? Comments welcome.
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome