SailNet Community - View Single Post - Menu Planning
Thread: Menu Planning
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2002

Sunspot Baby is on a distinguished road
Menu Planning

We have just acquired a 4 qt. pressure cooker, and the first "one pot" meal we tried was pretty nice. This is my first message on a Sail Net Board, so hope this isn''t too long

Acapulco Chicken
3 thick whole boneless breasts
¼ cup olive oil
3 tablespoons brown sugar (2 if coconut is sweetened)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon grated ginger (I used lots more close to 1 Tbsp.)
1 ½ cups orange juice
1 cup rice
½ cup raisins
½ cup of bitter orange marmalade (I used ½ marmalade and ½ habanero jelly)
½ cup flaked coconut
Salt and pepper to taste (about ½ tsp. Salt, and ¼ tsp. Pepper)…added before cooking

Directions: In saucepan, heat orange juice, raisins and marmalade until marmalade melts. Remove from heat and set aside. Cut up chicken into 1" chunks. Heat olive oil in pressure cooker and add chicken chunks. Lightly brown. [Note: I browned the chicken and it was almost dry in the final dish. Next time, try not browning.] Add the orange juice mixture plus the brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger and rice. Close lid, bring to high pressure then lower heat on stove and cook for 10 minutes. [Note: To thoroughly cook the chicken, since the browning step was omitted, and to get the rice a little more done, increase cooking time to 11 minutes]. Remove from heat and release using cold water release method according to manufacturer’s directions. Open, stir, taste and add salt and pepper to taste.

Made this on 11/1/02. Quite good. George suggests next time adding a can of Hatch green chiles, instead of using up valuable habanero jelly. See other notes incorporated in recipe.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook