SailNet Community - View Single Post - kerosene stoves.. WHAT HAPPENED!
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Jeff,

Perhaps I am a bit grumpy this morning; could be that the boat's getting hauled next week, or maybe it's due to those very few boaters who regard those who accept the use of propane on a boat as being irresponsible and foolish.

I have a distinct memory of kerosene fueled stoves as a child in my grandmother's kitchen. Pehaps I grew to dislike the acrid odor of burning kerosene, or the greasy residue that seemed to cling to everything. It's simply not for me. The weight, complications with fume extraction and expense are also distinct negatives to these appliances.

I never want to go back to using alcohol on a boat either - had that on two boats prior to this one. A huge pain to deal with preheating, flare-ups and long waiting times.

It was alluded that we make informed decisions based upon our life experiences, research, personal likes and dislikes. Your fears outweigh a decision to use LPG on your boat. My experiences have enabled an acceptance of this risk, based upon the intellegence of proper use and numerous associated benefits.