SailNet Community - View Single Post - Dogs on boats.
Thread: Dogs on boats.
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2002

Jade Sky is on a distinguished road
Dogs on boats.

Hello,

We don''t "live aboard" but spend a great deal of time both at the dock and sailing. Our fur child "Jade" is a 70lb Bouvier. She''s been on our sailboat since we adopted her at 8 weeks now shes 4 1/2. Bouvier''s are amazing dogs in that they are very agile, good see legs, mellow or energetic depending on our moods. She snorkels behind us with her own doggie PFD. This PFD is critical also if she were to fall over. There is no way we could lift her from the water to the deck without the handles. Bouv''s sink like a stone otherwise because their hair absorbs like a sponge. Bouv''s don''t shed are also hypo-allergic if that''s the right word. I''m deathly allergic to most animals. However, THEY DO NEED TO BE GROOMED. If I were to choose another dog other than a Bouvier it would probably be a Portugese Water Dog. Very similar.

I have yet to teach her to "do her thing" on the boat. She still holds it til we get to shore.

I can''t imagine not taking her with us when we leave for our long term cruise. But, sometimes I worry that we will be too prohibited because we have her. Such as day trips where the mode of travel is not dog friendly. Those of you cruising with dogs have you found this to be an issue?

Once again, this is just another aspect of life aboard to find solutions to.

Have fun!

Pamela

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook