SailNet Community - View Single Post - cooking
Thread: cooking
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2002

RichH will become famous soon enough
cooking

Wow, did you hit a nerve.
I make my own bread whenever possible. Get yourself some of the newly published paperbacks on "artisan" bread making. I have been messing about for the past three years in the production of honest to goodness french baguettes made on board using a propane oven. My onboard oven is only 12" deep - no matter, I just make 11" long loaves. I''m even in the early stages of making my own sourdough varieties of baguettes (poulish starter). All ya need is a thick ceramic insert for the shelf, some firebricks for the sides - wired in place, a spray bottle of water to spritz and steam, flour, water, salt, an active yeast ( or make your own), a razor knife and paddle. My local (french) french bread bakery states that with about 10 more years of practice I should be making first class loaves - and thats a GREAT compliment. Practice at home, especially to learn to adjust the published recipies; and, go to: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/cgibin/start/ahome/main.html and take a look of some of their supplies and ''instuctional'' books. Lots of good bread baking sites and discussion groups on the net.

I find that a gimbled stove is GREAT for making bread, the warm temps and high humidity found on most boats helps in the breadmaking process. I gave up on a ''breadmaker'' long ago, but still occasionally use it to mix and knead. A shipboard 12v small commercial mixer would be nice but I''ve never found one.

There are TWO aromas that you NEED on a boat: fresh ground coffee and freshly baking bread !!! There IS life beyond the typical tasteless american mass produced "wonderbread" - all you need is a little patience and a little dedicated practice.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook