SailNet Community - View Single Post - Raymarine AIS 500
View Single Post
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Re: Raymarine AIS 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuterikt View Post
When we installed our AIS (Emtrak b-100) the configuration SW reported unsatisfactory SWR level.
Emtrak makes good stuff. All the AIS units I have worked with "complain" about SWR and relatively low levels. Not a problem - in fact it is good practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuterikt View Post
We had no measuring equipment available - but suspected the cable that was custom made for us by our supplier.

Bought a over length ready made cable and problem apparently vanished.

6 months later I did some other work in the area where the cable from the AIS (VHF) was connected to the cable going to the antenna.
The plug on the cable attached to the antenna slid right off, it was not properly crimped..

We found that the ready made cable that was delivered with the antenna was the real problem, must have pushed it into place while testing the emergency antenna...
Although others have had better luck (including MaineSail for whom I have great regard) my experience with crimped VHF connectors (properly called PL-259 or UHF connectors) has been consistently poor. I only use silver-teflon solder/solder connectors. Your experience with poor crimps is consistent with those of many others. MaineSail has a crimp/solder connector he likes that I have not tested yet.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook