SailNet Community - View Single Post - Loosing sleep over this
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by teshannon View Post
Denise,
A fine dream but to each his own. I know a lot of people live on boats but I just don't see how I could do it. The hull would close in on me in a few weeks and that's with a fairly good sized boat. Perhaps it's possible to check your dream out by not selling your house but closing it up and moving aboard for a while to see how you do. If it goes well then take the next step and enjoy the adventure.
Push comes to shove I could live on most things bigger than around the 30' mark but would prefer something a tad larger to give extra space for cooking and bathing. Raven (34')is liveable but there is not much elbow room in the head for showering and the galley could do with a bit more bench space. If she was all I could ever afford then she'd do although I think Ms Wombat would give me the flick or murder me in my sleep before too long.

My preference for a liveaboard is high 30's early 40's. Remembering that LOA is not the be all and end all for a boats size. I like the idea of keeping below 40' for the convenience. Remember also that living space when docked and going to work each day is a damn sight different to being on perpetual vacation.

Denise, why not just do it ? I'm working hard towards winding up my business, upgrade boat and bugger off next year some time. If the dollars end up OK then it will be a bigger boat but if not I'm taking what I've got. Maybe that will mean not going as far as I might have liked but there's an awful lot of Australia to explore, PNG is right next door and the Solomons , Indonesia, New Zealand , New Caledonia are not far away and all within reach of a 34'er.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook