SailNet Community - View Single Post - Loosing sleep over this
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2007
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
Denise -
As I understand it, you are presently paying for both a house and a boat. If you move aboard, your income stays the same because you said you'd keep the HVAC business. Your boat costs stay about the same, maybe increase slightly if your marina charges more for liveaboards (where we are the liveaboard fee is $580/month; if we had the same boat in the same slip but lived on land it would be $500/month). Your house costs decrease (if you rent) or disappear (if you sell). So what's the downside in trying it? At worst, you save some money and decide you don't like the life. At best, you realize you can free yourself of the dirt-dwellers clutter. As Valiente pointed out, you'd at least crystalize the value of 'stuff' in your life.

I'd try moving aboard while keeping your options open by putting your things in storage for a year or two...at least, the ones that have some emotional content. You can always replace a sofa, less so grandma's quilt. I'd rent the house - unlike kwaltersmi, we've had great satisfaction with mgt companies in AZ an MD, both charged about 7 or 8% of the rent, and THEY were the ones that got the 3 am phone call when the water heater went out.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook