SailNet Community - View Single Post - Best Keel for Coastal and Blue Water Cruising
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2001

JohnDrake is on a distinguished road
Best Keel for Coastal and Blue Water Cruising

I can appreciate the point about new Catalina''s but have to say I frankly very surprised. Let me preface this by saying I am not a C dealer or employee. As I am lookign at larger Catalina''s, I would appreciate differing opinions.

I have owned a C 30 in the past and found it quite sea worthy. I have recently been able to go through a 1989 Catalina 36 very very thoroughly over the course of several hours and found it to be well built. The hull is solid glass (which I personally prefer, others may not), hull to deck joint very well built: shoebox construction screwed and glued, chainplates bolted to major structural members, cabin joinery tabbed to the cabin overhead, no voids or cracks, VERY easy access to all systems including the fuel tank and holding tank, easy to see if there was any rust on the fuel tank (none) and that it was well above the bilge, easy access to all sea cocks and .. they were sea cocks. Running rigging was fine for the size of the boat (in any case easy to upgrade). Cleats properly backed etc etc. Good fit and finish.

I just don''t see it. And I do not consider myself an amateur. I have been sailing for over 30 yrs haved owned several boats both sail and power, am getting a capt lic and a master diver cert, and have spent a few months aboard big pointy gray ships with guns on them (a great way to cruise).

I have not seen a new Catalina, but I think that are many popular boats out there that are much more expensive and not built as well. Good to have divergent opinions though.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook