SailNet Community - View Single Post - Aft Berth
Thread: Aft Berth
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2007

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Although I appreciate the idea of (specifically centre cockpit) aft cabins in reality I keep coming back to aft cockpit, main cabin forward. For me it's a fine place to sleep at anchor providing the v-berth is wide enough forward to sleep with feet aft and while useless at sea the forward cabin then becomes sail locker and general stowage space.
TDW: I can see your point. And Valiente's too.

On the flip side, I wouldn't mind at all having a boat with a proper centerline aft berth. It's a lot easier to do on a centercockpit boat, but it can also be done well on a larger aft cockpit boat (my preference). I know it wouldn't be a great bunk while at sea, so there'd have to be alternative sea berths. But at anchor -- where we spend most of our time --it could be a comfortable cabin away from the rest of the crew (i.e., the kids).

We like to stay up in the cockpit well past the kids' bed-time, enjoying the stars and lights of the night. It's the time of day when parents finally get to chat with relatively privacey. If the parents' cabin is forward in the v-berth, that means the kids' bunks are under the cockpit -- not good for parental privacey, especially on a ot night with portlights and hatches open. So, in our dream boat we want our kids' cabins forward, and ours aft -- right on the centerline with adequate headroom.

Funny how our "ideals" can lead us to opposite ends of the boat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook