SailNet Community - View Single Post - Aft Berth
Thread: Aft Berth
View Single Post
post #10 of Old 11-02-2007
JohnRPollard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Although I appreciate the idea of (specifically centre cockpit) aft cabins in reality I keep coming back to aft cockpit, main cabin forward. For me it's a fine place to sleep at anchor providing the v-berth is wide enough forward to sleep with feet aft and while useless at sea the forward cabin then becomes sail locker and general stowage space.
TDW: I can see your point. And Valiente's too.

On the flip side, I wouldn't mind at all having a boat with a proper centerline aft berth. It's a lot easier to do on a centercockpit boat, but it can also be done well on a larger aft cockpit boat (my preference). I know it wouldn't be a great bunk while at sea, so there'd have to be alternative sea berths. But at anchor -- where we spend most of our time --it could be a comfortable cabin away from the rest of the crew (i.e., the kids).

We like to stay up in the cockpit well past the kids' bed-time, enjoying the stars and lights of the night. It's the time of day when parents finally get to chat with relatively privacey. If the parents' cabin is forward in the v-berth, that means the kids' bunks are under the cockpit -- not good for parental privacey, especially on a ot night with portlights and hatches open. So, in our dream boat we want our kids' cabins forward, and ours aft -- right on the centerline with adequate headroom.

Funny how our "ideals" can lead us to opposite ends of the boat.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome