SailNet Community - View Single Post - Best way to use a broker? I''m 0 for 2.
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2002

dnr is on a distinguished road
Best way to use a broker? I''''m 0 for 2.

Heruka,
Glad to hear it''s not just me, I was beginning to think otherwise. However, I did just have another broker experience. Twice over the last six weeks I had responded to a specific listing on Yachtworld through the listing broker. I never received a response. Could be they didn''t get them, I suppose. Last week I was on one of the Sailnet email lists corresponding with an owner of the make and model I had been looking for. Turns out it was her boat ad and broker that I had been trying to pursue all along. I informed her that her broker was dropping the ball.
For what it''s worth, I have narrowed my search down to two boats base upon my wants and needs. They''re not uncommon by any means, but there aren''t 10 of them for sale in any one place, either. None of them are near me. Either I have to fly a broker all over the eastern US to look at them, or I need to work with a broker in every port. My approach has been to weed them out based upon discussions with sellers broker regarding electronic and rigging age/upgrade history, or location. Then I try to fly or drive to look them over myself. I travel frequently through work, and have been able to economically schedule side trips to view boats. I haven''t been interested enough in one yet to hire a survey.
Having said all that, I think I will once again try to find a broker, starting with some of the references I received in this thread. Otherwise, it''s just pick a name out of a directory. Can''t hurt I suppose. Maybe they can help weed out some and identify the ones that meet my fit/finish expectations.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook