SailNet Community - View Single Post - Multi-Hull vs Mono-Hull Sailboats?
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2007

Ken is on a distinguished road
Multi hull vs Mono

There is no correct yes or no answer. There are a lot of personal choices to make but one thing is consistent between either choice, the quality of the boat you buy. I'll qualify my opinions by saying we owned, sailed and lived aboard a Privilege 39 so I have experience on one side of your question.

For starters a quality cat will cost a lot more than a monohull so comparisons should be made with an eye to what you get for the $$$ and not length by the foot.

The positives for me are simple past the $$$. For starters you have a big platform to work on when you sail and it is relatively level most of the time. For a husband and wife sailing combo we found this to be an important safety issue that was NOT part of our original decision. The shallow draft is great for anchoring, many times as you can get to places a deeper draft cannot go. For living the spread out cabins makes for more spacious living and the big cockpit is wonderful.

Refrigeration...... What a pain in the.... You can use a propane refrigeration unit on a cat because it is flat. These are much like the units in RV's and your home. They sip propane and as long as you have a propane supply it beats 12V worries or running your engine for cold plates. For me an aux diesel with water maker pump and 12V alternator take care of your energy issues. If you need AC then you can consider a 12V unit (don't have experience here) or a 120V unit for use in a marina.

Lots of other positives for the wide transom such as room for dingy davits, outboard crane, solar panels, kayaks, grill, boarding from dingy/swimming, etc.

Maybe the best solution is a combination of suggestion. Go smaller at first, maybe a Gemini cat that won't break your wallet. Then you may love the boat or decide to change direction later and you'll be a lot smarter.
Ken
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook