SailNet Community - View Single Post - Your advise?
Thread: Your advise?
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Merttan...it is nice when someone spells out their needs so clearly so we don't have to guess!
Both the Islander and Catalina would be suitable for your needs. If you go the Catalina route, I would look for a tall rig version for LIS. Other boats you might consider include the Oday 34 and Irwin Citations and Endeavor32's.
There are better built boats in your size/price range but at the sacrifice of a lot of space and the boats I've listed are designed for your type of sailing and cruising grounds.
As far as engines go, I would avoid Volvo diesels and Atomic gas engines if possible. There's nothing wrong with either mfr. but getting parts and the price of those parts is an issue with the Volvo's and many prefer the safety of diesel rather than gas on board so Atomics tend to affect the resale price of the boat.
Hope that is helpful and I'm sure you'll get some other good recommendations. When dealing with a 30 year old boat...keep in mind that the overall maintenance and condition of an individual boat will be far more important to you in the long run than focusing in on one specific make or model given your cruising intentions. Many boats will be suitable...buy the one in the best condition!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook