SailNet Community - View Single Post - Shrink wrap vs. Tarp
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2007

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
Here's some stories of the different methods I've used over the last 10 years or so.... I made semi-ridged frames (2" Black Well Pipe $50) for my c28 for a couple years to drape a $100 dollar tarp that worked well. My expansion of the existing frames to cover my c320 failed badly when we got a foot of wet heavy snow...... That's when I coughed up $3000 for a Fairclough 'mast up' cover. I loved it and it worked perfectly with little fuss except the weight of the 2 sections at about 40 and 60 lbs. When I traded in the c320 for the NC I kept the frame & cover. I sold the cover but kept the frame to use on the NC as my guesstimate on the cost was about $5,000.... what TB was actually quoted. So now every year I re-build (yesterday actually) the frame that is partially from the Fairclough and partially custom bent by me 1" galvanized steel tubing ending up with the same type of frame as TB. The difference is I do my own shrink wrapping. Last year I did my first shrink wrap which I will not post pictures of as it was a patchwork quilt mess that barely held together for the winter. I wanted clear instead of white for more solar heating as I'm down there every weekend working on the boat but I have since learned that the clear with its lower melt temp and other properties that make it harder to work with wasn't the best choice for my first attempt. I bought a couple rolls of white this fall so I'll hopefully I'll get better at it over the years. The used wrap gets put in a separate dumpster in the spring - hopefully for re-cycling. I also store in the water now which is Much Warmer for the winter boat work. By the way a properly vented shrink wrap is no more of a problem than any other method.
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI

Last edited by christyleigh; 11-05-2007 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Venting -
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook