SailNet Community - View Single Post - ATF or SAE ? Yanmar 4JH2E / Trans: KM4A
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2007

TAK is on a distinguished road
ATF or SAE ? Yanmar 4JH2E / Trans: KM4A

Last week I was checking the transmission fluid on my Yanmar 4JH2E / Transmission: KM4A. The boat; a 94' Caliber 40 is new too me as of one year ago. The ATF was a little low but as I am about to change the Oil for the last time this year for winterization I made a note to change that too in the coming week.

As I was putting the cap back on I studied the plate on the front of the transmission, I then relized it actually calls for SAE 30 wt. Apparently the Previous Owner was using ATF and it was missed be me (and my surveyor..) I have since confirmed on a couple of Yanmar sites that it calls for the same oil as the engine.

Now I am not sure what to do. Keep using ATF or switch to Oil? I had the discussion with a fellow Yanmar owner and he was of the opinion that I should keep using ATF under the stratagy of not messing with something that seems to work. I am not sure thats good idea.

The Transmission runs fine - altho occasionly it seems to take a second or two to slip into gear. Not sure if that would have anything to do with the oil..

Any thoughts?
Caliber #4065

ACM - Eastport MD
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook