SailNet Community - View Single Post - Multi-Hull vs Mono-Hull Sailboats?
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I was hoping to get some information regarding the pros and cons of Multi-Hulls compared to Mono-Hull sailboats?
It would be my pleasure to help

Quote:
I am looking for a live aboard in the future and was wondering how the catamaran compares to a regular sailboat. I presently have a 33 ft Irwin Sloop. Thanks!
It's encouraging to see that you are already differentiating between catamarans and sailboats. They are indeed two entirely different things - one represents the zenith of thousands of years of Maritime tradition and expertise, offering it's skipper and crew a safe, sturdy platform on which to sail forth and experience all that is truly beautiful in this world of ours.

The other... well the other cannot honestly be termed anything more than an abomination. Crimes against nature, and each and every one of them a futile floating attempt to defy the laws of physics and common sense. True sailors avoid them.

Don't let your self be seduced by the promise of "no heeling", "spacious cabins", or any other such claptrap.

Each and every catamaran is nothing more than a marinized schizophrenic. The minute the winds come and seas get rough, it starts fighting with itself until finally, it tears itself apart and each hull huffs off towards a different part of the world, leaving you holding on to a rapidly sinking "genuine Marble" countertop and praying like you've never prayed before.

Hopefully you'll find the above to be an honest, objective assessment of the relative merits of each.

You're welcome !

Last edited by Sailormann; 11-11-2007 at 12:02 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook