SailNet Community - View Single Post - Winter Sailing
Thread: Winter Sailing
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2007

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Hello,

It has to be pretty cold for salt water to freeze.

What I would do is keep a gallon bottle of marine / RV antifreeze and a hose on the boat. If it gets cold enough for you to worry about salt water freezing, (say 32F to be safe) close the raw water seacock, take the hose off the raw water pump (or off the seacock if it is easy) and stick the hose on the antifreeze. Run the engine until you see the antifreeze come out the exhaust. Put the raw water hose back on.

If you remove the hose from the waterpump, make sure to get some antifreeze into the hose (maybe by opening the strainer).

When it gets warm enough to sail just go for it. Next time it gets cold, repeat.

With practice, it would take only a few minutes to protect the engine, and I get you use only a few gallons of antifreeze.

My real worry about boats in the water over a long island winter is the storms. There are frequent, nasty storms. Last year my boat was in the water all year. I thought I would go out a few times, but I only did twice. And I almost lost my boat in one the late winter storms.

If you do leave your boat in, and want some company on a winter sail, let me know! I would love to get out for some winter sailing.

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook