SailNet Community - View Single Post - Headroom in a 35-40 Foot boat
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2007

giannboy is on a distinguished road
Headroom in a 35-40 Foot boat

Hi:

I'm currently in the market for a used boat and my budget tells me to spend no more than $100-110K.

Hopefully, I can get some help here to since I' m tired of searching the used boat sites on my own.

Here is the criteria:

Size: 35-40 Ft. LOA
Displacement/Design: Medium...with decent sailing performance (the fun quotient)...not a slug but not something so tender that I have to spend half my time reefing and furling.

I live on the Caribbean side of Mexico so light wind is not an issue and plan the occasional jaunt down to Belize/Guatemala and back up to Florida.

I also prefer something that can be singlehanded when the urge strikes.

I'm a competent sailor (can get from Point A to Point B but noone is recruiting me for the America's Cup) and my concern is not so much with the sailing end (proper setup and equipment can go a long way in dealing with the sails) but parking at a slip or at a dock under power can be quite an adventure when you are by yourself and the boat doesn't go where you want it to.

So maneuvaribility under power is an issue.

Draft: Prefer a shoal draft with a maximum of 6 Feet

Build Quality: Not afraid of production boats...depending on the particular boat.

And, finally, the fly in the ointment...

Headroom: I'm 6'4-6'5...depending on how much I am slouching or how this old body standing up to the rigors of the day...so I would like as much interior altitude as possible.

I am aware that all boats are compromises (Headroom vs. Freeboard for example) so all of the above is mix and match but any assistance/opinions would be appreciated

Thanks

John

"I'm not going bald...I'm just scraping it off inside sailboats"
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook