SailNet Community - View Single Post - The old men and women of the sea...
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2007

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
... And then there are some oddballs who didn't grow up on the coast of anything, whose parents had nothing to do with sailing, and never even met anyone who ever sailed, who tried to become a sailor anyway. Way back as a kid in central Mass my parents used to take me for an occasional canoe ride and in the back of my fathers Outdoor Life's or Field and Stream's there were ads for 'Sail Kits' by Old Town Canoe. Well..... 20 years later or about 30 years ago I did a crude re-furbish of my fathers failing 14' wood & canvas canoe. After a couple years of playing with that I longed for something else, called Old Town Canoe up in Maine and then took a drive up there and bought a 'sail kit'. The basics of how a sail boat works was spelled out to me in grammer school science books waaayyy back when so I slapped it together, strapped it onto the car roof, headed down to a local pond, and tacked off into the wind........... Now all the Yacht Club programs or whatever are great and I'm not putting them down but I think if someone is going to become a sailor he or she will whether it is spoon fed to them or not.
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook