SailNet Community - View Single Post - The old men and women of the sea...
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
If TB hadn't posted pictures of young people sailing, I would have just assumed he was lying. We all know he's a whoremonger and dope fiend, so why not a liar too? But the pictures tell the story, so I stand corrected.

Tommy, HHI is an odd place, and after a year I still haven't figured it out. In the past it's been a big retirement destination, but it's been in a process changing. Lots of young families are moving here from across the country. I'm 41, and we've met quite a few people our age, and it seems that these are the people who can't seem to live life away from the tv. Lots of sculpted facial hair, tatoos -- and they actually play video games. Gotta have the soul patch and tattoos so people don't forget yer a Playstation-playin' rebel!

The race I was in was sponsored by the South Carolina Yacht Club, which his based in Windmill Harbor. It's an unbelieveable facility, with a lock system and a gorgeous club house. However, the overwhelming majority of members don't sail. It's more of a supper club than a sailing club. It's also got a very peculiar Southern thing going on. Everyone comes dressed to the nines, while the sailing folk look like they just stepped off a boat after a long sail, which is as it should be. There are just very few of them, and their numbers are dwindling -- at least around here.

Stan, when you were here, did you see Windmill Harbour? I know you and your wife were at the Yacht Basin, which is definitely nice. Windmill Harbor, however, is where you'll see a great variety of sailboats...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook