SailNet Community - View Single Post - Joinery Separation - Help
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2002

mqh7 is on a distinguished road
Joinery Separation - Help

I made the mistake of buying a Hanse 311. They are a German made sailboat. I have some questions about sailboats and I was hoping someone here could help me.

Most of the joinery work down below is separating. The forward bulk-head wall, the wall in the head and the entire galley sink are all separating from the cabin floor. The galley sink is a good 1/2 inch removed from the cabin floor, maybe more.

This is a Brand New boat!! Correct me if I am wrong but this should not be happening on any sailboat much less a brand new boat.

And I e-mailed Hanse in Germany. They told me that I was worried about nothing and I should just apply some SikoFlex epoxy to the effected areas and I should be OK.

That is NOT an answer. Squirting glue into a 1/2 inch crack is not going to fix anything.

My questions are these:

a) What would cause something like this to happen?
b) How can you re-attach the walls and the galley to the cabin sole? As I said squirting more epoxy does not fix it.
c) How do you prevent something like this from happening again?
d) Have any of you out there had similar problems with any of your sailboats and if so how did you fix it?

Thanks,
Matt
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook